STEP 1 - Connect the USB cable
Before connecting LaCie Rugged SECURE, confirm the type of USB port on your computer, then choose the appropriate cable to connect your device:
Use the USB 3.1 (USB-C) cable if your computer has a USB-C port.
Use the USB-C–to–USB Type A (USB 3.0/USB 2.0) cable if your computer does not have a USB-C port.
STEP 2 - Set up LaCie Rugged SECURE
An internet connection is required to install the Toolkit app.
- Using a file manager such as File Explorer or Finder, open LaCie Rugged SECURE and launch Start Here Win or Start Here Mac.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to register your device and install the Toolkit app, which you’ll need to enable security for LaCie Rugged SECURE.
Toolkit is required in order to enable security for LaCie Rugged SECURE. Be sure to install Toolkit in order to password-protect your device using Seagate Secure 256-bit encryption.
Toolkit lets you enter your password whenever you want to lock or unlock the drive, and provides other useful tools such as:
- Changing your password
- Managing backup plans.
- Creating mirror folders.
- Enabling/disabling security.
- Resetting your device to factory settings
- Optimize disk format for performance when used with a specific operating system.
For details on Toolkit features, see the LaCie Toolkit user manual.